Sunday, February 03, 2019

Thou Shalt Not

After reading the Ten Commandments in church this morning, our pastor commented that anyone who believes that they are keeping all of them should read the comments of Jesus about their meaning in the Sermon on the Mount. That was a helpful thought.

Over the last several decades, numerous well meaning Christians have advocated for the posting of the Decalogue in a variety of public places ranging from courthouses to public schools. Rarely, though, have such Christians seemed to pause to question how readers will understand that document apart from any context. Indeed, many people, both Christians and not, seem to read the commandments rather narrowly and use them as a set of check boxes to measure one's self against. Thus, if I didn't worship another god this week or swipe something that doesn't belong to me, I'm good on numbers one and eight.

Of course, Jesus, in the aforementioned sermon, interpreted the commandments much more expansively -- indeed, fearsomely so. The commandment against adultery is not violated only by the actual physical act of unmarried sex, but by lust. The prohibition of killing is violated by hate. If all ten are teased out in this way, who can stand?

Consistent with the way that Jesus spoke about these, the Reformed confessions and catechisms tend to approach the Ten Commandments as a set of summary statements into which every biblical or ethical duty, both positive and negative, can be categorized. Thus, for example, the Heidelberg Catechism provides the following on what is required of us by the Sixth Commandment ("Thou Shalt Not Kill"):

105. Q. What does God require in the sixth commandment?
A. I am not to dishonour, hate, injure, or kill my neighbour by thoughts, words, or gestures, and much less by deeds, whether personally or through another;[1] rather, I am to put away all desire of revenge.[2] Moreover, I am not to harm or recklessly endanger myself.[3] Therefore, also, the government bears the sword to prevent murder.[4]
[1] Gen. 9:6; Lev. 19:17, 18; Matt. 5:21, 22; 26:52. [2] Prov. 25:21, 22; Matt. 18:35; Rom. 12:19; Eph. 4:26. [3] Matt. 4:7; 26:52; Rom. 13:11-14. [4] Gen. 9:6; Ex. 21:14; Rom. 13:4.


106. Q. But does this commandment speak only of killing?
A. By forbidding murder God teaches us that He hates the root of murder, such as envy, hatred, anger, and desire of revenge,[1] and that He regards all these as murder.[2]
[1] Prov. 14:30; Rom. 1:29; 12:19; Gal. 5:19-21; James 1:20; I John 2:9-11. [2] I John 3:15.


107. Q. Is it enough, then, that we do not kill our neighbour in any such way? A. No. When God condemns envy, hatred, and anger, He commands us to love our neighbour as ourselves,[1] to show patience, peace, gentleness, mercy, and friendliness toward him,[2] to protect him from harm as much as we can, and to do good even to our enemies.[3]
[1] Matt. 7:12; 22:39; Rom. 12:10. [2] Matt. 5:5; Luke 6:36; Rom. 12:10, 18; Gal. 6:1, 2; Eph. 4:2; Col. 3:12; IPet. 3:8. [3] Ex. 23:4, 5; Matt. 5:44, 45; Rom. 12:20.


When reading this, it is important to remember that these are the Ten COMMANDMENTS, not the ten aspirations. Seeing the commandments in this way not only delivers me from self-righteousness, it radically defines me as a sinner who regularly violates the commandment against murder. Again, we could take the same approach to all ten. If this were the end of the scriptural message, I would be left without hope, but thankfully the story does not end there. Having delivered from the delusion of my own righteousness, the end of the law is to point me to Christ to whom I must flee, as he alone is a Savior of sinners.

Having been delivered by Christ, I am promised that I am no longer under a potential sentence of condemnation (Rom. 8:1). However, this does not mean that the law no longer has relevance. It no longer condemns me, for Christ by his death suffered the penalty in my behalf and set me free. Now, this law, still as commandments, provides a guide showing how I am to live as one who has been delivered.

The law delivers me from self-righteousness, but not to a newly found self-righteousness. Rather, it drives me from self-righteousness to a glorious dependence on the accomplishment of Christ.

No comments: