Wednesday, December 05, 2018

Just a Random Thought about Funerals

When I was in my early 20's, I had a friend in college who was among the speakers at his wife's funeral. Today, I saw a bit of the video of George W. Bush eulogizing his father. Of course, I have known others that have done this during the intervening years.

I respect those that can and wish to do this. Speaking only for myself, the last thing I would want to do is to stand up and talk at the funeral of someone I was close to. Of course, from my pastoral days I have presided over many funerals, but I have never done this for a close family member. If I were asked to do so, I would have to decline. I would be thankful for a pastor that could deliver the word of God, as well as for any other family that would desire to deliver a sort of eulogy that I could not do.

No comments: